Yep, we made our own fruit leather and it was so easy! I got the recipe from Pinterest (of course!) and here’s the link: fruit rolls.
We don’t own a dehydrator but it is completely not necessary! Our cooked in a 170°oven for six hours and it turned out perfectly. My yaya peeled off the parchment paper so we have ‘fruit slabs’ instead of fruit rolls but it takes just like store-bought fruit rolls but without corn syrup, modified corn starch, partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, maltodextrin, carrageenan, citric acid, sodium citrate, red dye #40, yellow 5 & 6 and blue 1. No funky ingredients here! Just pureed fruit, lemon juice and honey! Yay! 🙂
Here’s the recipe:
4 cups fruit (apples, pears, peaches, apricots, strawberries, etc.)
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice (I used calamanci)
1. Peel and dice the fruit, removing all seeds (unless you’re using berries).
2. Add diced fruit and water to a pot and bring to a boil. Add in lemon juice and honey. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking until fruit is cooked through and can easily be mashed.
3. Using an immersion blender, puree the fruit until smooth.
4. Spread out the puree between 1/8″ and 1/4″ thick on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake at 170° for 6 – 8 hours. Fruit should not be sticky enough to stick to you when touched.
6. Remove cookie sheets from oven and allow to cool slightly. Roll up from one end to the other depending on the kinds of rolls you’d like. Or just peel the parchment paper and store in a container.